Prevent Athlete’s Foot
These tips can help you avoid athlete’s foot or ease the symptoms if infection occurs:
- Keep your feet dry, especially between your toes. Go barefoot to let your feet air out as much as possible when you’re home.
- Change socks regularly. If your feet sweat a lot, change your socks when they get wet.
- Wear light, well-ventilated shoes. Avoid shoes made of synthetic material, such as vinyl or rubber.
- Alternate pairs of shoes. Don’t wear the same pair every day so that you give your shoes time to dry between wearings.
- Protect your feet in public places. Wear waterproof sandals or shower shoes/socks in communal showers, pools, fitness centers and other public areas.
- Treat your feet. Use powder, preferably antifungal, on your feet daily.
- Don’t share shoes. Sharing risks spreading a fungal infection.